my kitchen

In the YOUR HOUSE category I have included some of the most common decorating queries I have received over the years. But I’m delighted to announce that I have now set up a dedicated interior design consultancy called MAD ABOUT YOUR HOUSE.

Whether it’s tracking down a specific item or talking through ideas for a single room or entire house, I can help you out. We can either speak on the phone and I will create a secret Pinterest board just for you or I can visit (within the M25) and we can discuss things face to face, after which I will create a PDF Lookbook full of inspirational pictures, links to products we have discussed and suggestions of colour palettes tailored just for you.

Click the link to find out more or read the testimonials. New clients are coming to the Mad House every week, why not come and find out more?








Kate Watson-Smyth

The author Kate Watson-Smyth

I’m a journalist who writes about interiors mainly for The Financial Times but I have also written regularly for The Independent and The Daily Mail. My house has been in Living Etc, HeartHome and featured in The Wall Street Journal & Corriere della Sera. I also run an interior styling consultancy Mad About Your House. Welcome to my Mad House.


  1. I noticed that you don’t have “back splashes” and was wondering what kind of paint you use when behind the stove or sink. Personall I hate having to do a backsplash unless you are going to do a whole wall which is a little over kill at times.

    1. Hi Linda, I have open shelves behind my sink so it wasn’t really an issue. I just used eggshell paint. If you need to actually cover a wall then you could varnish the paint with something like PlastiKote to protect the paint. They do an acrylic varnish which protected against water.

  2. Hi, I was wondering how much you charge per hour for consulting on decorating?
    Thank You

Comments are closed.